Thanks to Ryan Angell for the hip video from our Derby Days in 2014! Check out the live footage
Welcome to the world of Pinewood Derby!!
Cub Scouts just like you have been building their own cars and competing in Pinewood Derby® events since 1953! At the heart of this event’s success is the process itself – bonds are strengthened as the Cub Scout partners with a parent or adult mentor to design, carve, paint, weigh, refine, and race the car. So enjoy the ride!
The benefits, for Cub Scout and adult, are discovered through the derby process itself: strengthening bonds, sharing responsibility, developing teamwork, learning new skills, exercising creativity, building sportsmanship and confidence and making new friends.
The father of the Pinewood Derby®, Donald Murphy, described his vision for the event to Scouting magazine in 1999: “I wanted to devise a wholesome, constructive activity that would foster a closer father-son relationship and promote craftsmanship and good sportsmanship through competition.” As Cub Scouts learn the skill of good sportsmanship, they are better able to recognize and appreciate the new skills they’ve acquired, to show respect to all those involved, and to experience the fun and excitement of competition.
1. You have an opportunity to weigh your car during track set up on 1/5/2017; this will be the only time to weigh your car and make modifications prior to check-in on Friday 1/6/2017.
2. Derby check in 1/6/2017: ALL CARS PLANNING TO RACE IN THE 2016 PACK 502 PINEWOOD DERBY MUST BE CHECKED IN from 7-9pm on Friday, 1/6/2017.
3. Derby Race Day 1/7/2017 from 3pm -7:30pm
Derby Supply Stores:
4225 Park Road
Park Road Shopping Center
Charlotte, NC 28209
Monday – Friday, 8a.m. to 9p.m.
Saturday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
Sunday, 1p.m. to 6p.m.
*Blackhawk’s “Paint and Plumbing”team will cut out your car while you wait (if you missed the clinic prior to the winter break). They’ll also show you weights, paint and graphics to make your pinewood derby car cooler and faster!!
Carolina Scout Shop
2121 Westinghouse Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28273
Mon-Fri 9:30 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
Sat 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Free Pinewood Derby Templates:
Boy Scouts Pinewood Derby web site
Pinewood Derby Rules
The Official BSA Pinewood Derby Rules for the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby are the rules that are in the box of the Official Grand Prix Pinewood Derby Kits handed out by the scout leader. It is important to understand that Cub Scout packs are not required to follow the exact Pine Wood Derby rules established by the BSA. Pinewood Derby rules may differ from one pack to another. So every derby car builder must get a copy of their particular pack’s rules and build accordingly. It is important to read all rules before planning and building your Pinewood Derby car.
- Printable copy of Pack 502 Pinewood Derby Rules
- The Pinewood Derby is open to all Cub Scouts.
- Cars should be built by the Cub Scouts with some adult guidance and supervision.
- Any technical assistance should be fully explained to the Cub Scout so that he can use that knowledge on future projects.
- Wheel bearings, washers, and bushings are prohibited.
- The car shall not ride on springs.
- Only official Cub Scout Grand Prix Pinewood Derby wheels and axles are permitted.
- Only dry lubricant is permitted; graphite dust can be used in the wheels
- Details, such as steering wheel and driver are permissible as long as these details do not exceed the maximum length, width and weight specifications.
- The car must be free-wheeling, with no starting devices.
- Derby weights: Cars can be exactly 5oz. or less. The fastest cars tend to be those weighing exactly 5oz.
- Design elements suggested: Paint, Decals, Skins, Tape
Purpose of Weigh-ins
- Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it may compete. If, at registration, a car does not pass inspection, the owner will be informed of the reason for failure, and will be given time within the official weigh-in time period to make the adjustment.
- After final approval, cars will not be re-inspected unless the car is damaged in handling or in a race.
Pack 502 Schedule of Weigh-ins
- Thursday – 1/5/2017 – time to be announced: Trial Weigh-in, Last Minute Help hosted at HUMC
- Friday – 1/6/2017
- 7:00pm-8:00pm: Trial Run (Max of 2 trial runs per car), Weigh and Check-in
- 9:00pm: Final weigh-in/Check-in Cut-off.
ALL CARS PLANNING TO RACE IN THE 2015 PACK 502 PINEWOOD DERBY MUST BE CHECKED BY 9:00pm on Friday, 1/6/2017!
Did You Know?
- A fast Pinewood Derby® car can reach a speed of nearly 20 miles per hour. Pretty good for a little block of wood!
- If a Pinewood Derby® car racing down the track was enlarged to the size of a real automobile, it would be speeding at more than 200 miles an hour. That’s fast!
- The first Pinewood Derby® was run in 1953 at the Manhattan Beach Scout House near Los Angeles when Cubmaster Don Murphy introduced the idea to Pack 280C.
- Over the years, Cub Scouts have built close to 100 million Pinewood Derby® racers. That’s a lot of cars!
- If you lined up all the Pinewood Derby® racecars, bumper-to- bumper, they would reach more than 7,000 miles – far enough to stretch from Charlotte, North Carolina, to the North Pole!
- No Pinewood Derby® car has ever used a drop of gasoline. Gravity rules!